Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Beware the Mud Rocket

5/19/12

Tonight it became official.  Me being Ethan's dad that is.  We all went as a family tonight to see him and we got there right as he was ready to be fed.  The SOP for feedings is to first change his diaper.  So I volunteered for the job.  I got him undressed and took off his diaper.  As I started to wipe him down he let out a man sized fart.  I kind of laughed toward the nurse and said "that's my boy!"  I didn't even get those words out of my mouth when my left hand and the inside of "box" was blasted with what can only be described as explosive pooh.  It was everywhere.  So there you have it, I declare it official as soon as you get slimed like that.

On a little bit better note, he continues to get bigger.  It may not seem like much because we are always talking about grams, but he's been consistently putting on 20-50grams a day.  In fact, today the nurse weighed him right before we fed (after I was baptized) and he weighed in at 1670 grams, or 3lbs 10.9ozs. After his feeding tonight the nurse weighed him again, this time he was 1710 grams, or 3lbs 12.3ozs.

The nurse also mentioned that he had one "spell" early this morning where he dropped his heart rate and O2 way day and need a little help getting back up.  He has anywhere from 3-7 of these daily, but he usually brings himself out of them.  Last night he didn't.  But they weren't too worried and in fact increased his caffeine intake to mitigate it.  They said that because he is actually growing so fast, he needs the extra caffeine to help with the spells.

No comments: