Wednesday, December 07, 2011

Norah and Daddy Bonding Time

Now that Jamie has her own blog, this should really be re-titled "Ruminations from a Greatful Dad" or something.  Well, I've been motivated again to start blogging more often about what's going on in our daily lives so that we don't forget! 

I suppose I should start this post out by mentioning I've spent 4 of the last 5 days with Norah while Jamie either worked or had other commitments.  So we've had some really good father-daughter bonding time.  Its actually be amazing.  Norah has a "witching hour" around 4:30-6:00pm every night where she is a monster.  Unfortunately for me, that means nearly every day I miss the best hours of her day and I come home from work to chaos.  But these past 4 days have been different.  I get to be with her during her best hours, and its just night and day different from what I'm used to experiencing.

Over this five day stretch she has battled some sort of a bug, starting out vomiting and ended with diarrhea, but she's been a champ through it all.  For the first two days (vomiting stage) we spent all day set up in the kitchen watching movies on the laptop.  Lots of Curious George and lots of Dora, but I survived.  Once she got to stage 2 of the sickness and we weren't constrained to the kitchen anymore, we just played and played and played.  It was great.  Her imagination is amazing.  And I've also enjoyed showing her how to do different things.  Yesterday she helped me make mac 'n cheese.  Today she helped put toast in the toaster (when he popped up she nearly had a heart attack) and make ramen noodles. 

She is without a doubt a tough, stubborn, and strong-willed child.  But over these past few days I've really been able to see a lot of good inside her heart as well.  When you walk into a room and hear her singing "I've got peace like a river, I've got peace like a river in my soul!", or as she says, "peace like a whiva" you start to think maybe you are getting through after all.

Here's a video from our lunch today after we made ramen, it was her first attempt eating it... and she loved it.

No comments: